Thursday, December 11, 2008

Look at me!.......I'm blogging!


This is SOOO exciting. Hello world! I am officially no longer a "blogging virgin." This whole blogging thing seems like a great idea, and I can see myself really loving it. What's not to love? Aparently I get to talk about my life and all of my creative pursuits as often as I like. What a concept! I'm not sure that the world is ready for this.

Let's see. Where should I begin? I intend to devote this blog to beading and my complete obsession with it, so I guess I will start by telling you how the beading journey began for me. I have always been an artistic person. It was in my blood. I grew up drawing and painting and creating far too many masterpieces to grace the family refrigerator. My Mom is also very creative, so she was an inspiration to me as well. I can remember watching her embroider things for our home and gifts for friends and knowing that I HAD to learn to do that!! That led to many years of artistic exploration for me. I crocheted, knit, sewed, embroidered, painted, scrapbooked and absolutely anything else that caught my eye. One of the most fulfilling creative adventures I have had was working as a specialty cake decorator. It was absolutely amazing. I loved going to work every day and making masterpieces for peoples most special occasions. I was really great at it too. I have always enjoyed the challenge of learning new techniques and making a mental picture into a reality.

I found beading for the first time in early 2006. I had a friend give me a storage container full of beads when she was cleaning out her storage unit. I had no idea what I would ever do with them, but I took them anyway. Then another friend took up making rosaries and asked me to help her make some for gifts for her family. I had so much fun making them that I started making simple strung bracelets and necklaces. Then, one fabulous day, I decided to see what I could do with the hanks of seed beads that I had from the original container of beads. That is when I officially became obsessed. I spent hours searching for beadweaving patterns on the internet and looking through every beading book or magazine I could get my hand on. I spent months trying and mastering all of the major stitches I could find.

All of that beading led me to the local bead store several times a week. I quickly became friends with the owner of the store, and she offered me a job there. Heaven on earth!! Not only could I spend my days talking to people about patterns and designs, I could also spend time working on my own projects. It was a wonderful experience! I have since amassed I huge collection of all sorts of beads and cabochons that inspire me constantly. I have found that I really love doing freeform peyote bracelets and things that flow from my mind into reality. It's amazing what happens when I let the beads create their own designs. Another thing that I LOVE is bead embroidery. I have gone completely over the moon for this style of beading. I am mostly focusing on those types of projects at this point. In fact, the very first post on this blog was a picture and description of my latest bead embroidered cuff.

I look forward to blogging about the creative process and sharing my works in progress with you. Thanks for sharing the process with me!


No comments: